Tuesday, September 06, 2005

Date Night

Randy, Gracie & I went to our first family movie the other night. For me, it was the first movie I'd seen in the theater since I was 8 months pregnant (more than two years ago). For GracieGirl, it was her very first movie ever.
Off to a good start, GracieGirl fell asleep on the drive to the theater. As I paid for our tickets, we laughed at the fact that we were not only paying $5.00 for a 18 month old, but a sleeping 18 month old (they start charging after the kid hits one year). We also paid $7.75 each to see Valiant, a movie neither of us have heard of or were dying to see. So much for my great debut back into movies with some Oscar-winning film.
Halfway through the movie, Gracie awoke from her nap, sat on her daddy's lap, watched the movie for thirty seconds, then started wailing. As I took her outside, I was smiling at her crying over a cartoon. But then I started to think about it: If I woke up from a much needed nap & found myself in a large dark room with a bunch of gigantic pigeons covering an entire wall, I might cry too.
I went to the counter to ask for a refund. Surprisingly, they gave it to me. I think the screaming baby (who was charged the ticket price of child) convinced them. I'm not sure which was more funny: paying $20.50 to see a movie you don't want to see (for Gracie, who was sleeping), or getting the entire thing refunded.
Gracie continued to cry, so we decided to bribe her with ice cream (Mother of the Year). Turns out Gracie has a new philanthropy she enjoys. As we all sat outside & ate our ice cream (which cheered her up immensely), she walked around picking trash up off the ground, saying "traaassshh" & taking the nasty items to the trash can. I refuse to think about the nasty things she picked up. I figure if I don't think about it, maybe it didn't really happen. xoxo

5 Comments:

At 5:06 PM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hi, just reading for the first time...
That is so cool that you got your money back!
I think I would have lied and said she was under 12 months!

 
At 7:18 PM, Blogger nicole said...

I would always ask for my money back! And the stinkers asked me how old she was before I could ask what the age limit was! xoxo

 
At 9:40 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I think it's only fair that they refund your money. Would they prefer that you sit in the movie with a screaming child to get your money's worth?

I would be scared, too, if I were Gracie! That WOULD be a bit freaky to wake up to. Poor thing! haha!

 
At 9:21 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Okay. So this is going to sound just a little weird and I don't want you to take it the wrong way and I know you are a tad younger than me and I truly love my mother, but in some small way I want you to be my mom because you're waaaay too cool for school. Gracie is one fortunate little girl. ;^)

 
At 6:39 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am so shocked that they gave you your money back!! And I can't believe that they charge you for such a young little girl!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home