Monday, August 29, 2005

Good Times

Sent a letter to a bunch of my old students earlier. Of course, half of their email accounts have expired 'cause that's how kids are.
It's such a love-hate relationship a teacher has with her students. I keep thinking, man I miss those little hoodlums. The freshman I had when I first taught high school are seniors this year. It makes me a little teary. I keep looking back at all the fun times I had with my students. Times when I'd be blown away by something they would say or do, but then reminded that I was (gasp!) in high school once too. Times when the whole class would be laughing at some shared joke. Once, the whole class threw wads of paper at the kid who was habitually tardy.
As I drift though memories of who was dating who & whose mom was gonna kill them, I always drift to the sour ones too. Like the kid who I sent to detention every day for the first 15 days that he joined my class. Or the time I had to call a kid's dad because he wouldn't take his hat off in my class (That one's kinda funny, though. The dad came down right away & yelled at the kid in front of the whole class). It's crazy, even the not-so-great memories make me smile.
Memories, misty water-colored memories. . .
I may have been a hard-ass, but I was always fair. We had fun & I think the kids appreciated that. I'll probably go back to teaching when Gracie goes to school. I'm pretty sure it's what I'm meant to do. xoxo

1 Comments:

At 6:41 PM, Blogger Joy said...

You are a natural teacher, Nicole. It's been great to watch the traits carried over to Gracie. I hope that you'll return to the classroom someday, when it is time. I'm reminded this past week about the role that teachers play in these kiddos lives. You forget how much baggage they carry, and well they learn to pack it...I miss you!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home