Tuesday, April 12, 2005

Responsibility

I'm an animal lover, I always have been (hence the "Elmira" nickname my dad has tried to pin on me). But this really bothers me:

Iron Will Helps Pit Bull Survivor

This is not a lone attack by a dog in Southern California, or in the AV. A few months ago there was an uproar about a big dog attacking a little yapper dog. People are upset about the nature of these pit bull-type dogs (which scare the crap outta me). The problem is not the dogs exactly, though. The problem is the dog owners.

My real fear is that an irresponsible dog owner will be walking with their dog, who is either not on a leash, or uncontrollable while my innocent angel daughter is playing outside. Why are people not upset by the fact that this woman (or the yapper dog) could have been a small child? What are the consequences for someone breaking the leash laws (and why aren't they widely known?)? Why are they not more stringently enforced?

I've almost completely stopped running outside because I consistently encounter people walking their dogs off the leash. They are infringing upon my right to be outdoors & enjoy my run. I have been confronted by these dogs. While calling the dogs, who do not come, the owner yells at me from 200+ yards away, "They're not going to hurt you!" Later the owner tells me that if I'm going to yell at the dogs to get away from me [through tears], she can't be responsible for what they may do.
I told her that next time I'll be running with a gun.

4 Comments:

At 10:16 PM, Blogger Along said...

Hi Nicole,

My first time coming here. Must say I totally agree with your post. I did one similiar in my blog.

http://alongsj.blogspot.com/2005/03/bad-dog-vs-bad-owners.html#comments

I agree most of the times it's the idiotic owners behind these dog attacks. If only people would be more responsible.

 
At 2:41 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mace or ammonia spray the bejesus out of them. The dog first, then the owner.
-Brandon

 
At 4:48 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

Stoopid dog owners and the doggies they own!

You call this a blog? Try this one: Psych Watch. Maybe a nut but he sure is committed!

Okay enough about you... I've been toying with that NeroVision software and have decided to make a photo-montage of year one of the G-child. Womb to birthday. Any background music suggestions?

 
At 7:17 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

My song ideas for the video:

Thank Heaven for Little Girls (from Gigi)
Isn't She Lovely (by Stevie Wonder)
and
My Girl (The Temptations)

:0)

 

Post a Comment

<< Home